Things to Do by City

Sheriff Buford Pusser Home & Museum

342 Pusser Street, P.O. Box 301, Adamsville, TN 38310;(731) 632-4080 or (731) 632-1401; Fax: (731) 632-4085; E-mail:; 
Suburban home of the late Buford Pusser, McNairy County’s world famous sheriff featured in the “Walking Tall” movies and television series. Site contains cars, original furnishings, a short video presentation, and a host of memorabilia depicting the life of Sheriff Pusser from childhood through his famed law enforcement career. Thursdays & Fridays (11 am - 4 pm) and Saturdays (10 am - 4 pm.)  Admission.

Coon Creek Science Center

2985 Hardin Graveyard Rd.; Adamsville, TN 38310; (901) 639-2362; Fax (731) 632-4850; For more information, call (901) 320-6320. For reservations, call (901) 320-6362
Just imagine! Clams, snails, crabs, sharks, and giant mosasaurs living in Tennessee! That would be the scene approximately 70 million years ago in what is now West Tennessee as the ancient Gulf of Mexico covered the land. How do we know? A visit to Coon Creek Science Center will help answer this question. One of the most important fossil sites in North America. Acquired by the Memphis Museum System in 1988, this property contains a treasure lode of superbly preserved Upper Cretaceous marine shells and vertebrate remains left there 70 million years ago when the water of the Gulf of Mexico receded. Coon Creek Science Center is solely operated and maintained by Memphis Museums, Inc. Visits to the center are limited to organized groups.

Hardeman County Courthouse

Court Square, Bolivar, TN; Hardeman Co. Chamber,P.O. Box 313, Bolivar, TN 38008; (731) 658-6554;Web Site:
The centerpieces of historic Hardeman County are its courthouses. Its first, built in 1824, is the earliest surviving courthouse in West Tennessee and now serves as the Little Courthouse Museum. The second, burned by Union forces in 1864, was replaced in 1868 by the current Italianate style courthouse.

Bolivar Historic Districts

Hardeman County Chapter, Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, Hardeman County Chamber,P.O. Box 313, Bolivar, TN 38008; (731) 658-6554;Web Site:
Bolivar is graced with three distinct historic districts. The North Main District contains more than 20 homes ranging in dates from the 1840s to the 1940s representing many architectural styles. Court Square District includes the 1868 Courthouse, as well as one of the only three log courthouses left in the U. S.; Bills-McNeal Historic District contains several outstanding antebellum mansions. Special arrangements for groups welcomed.

The Dunbar Carver Alumni Museum and Cultural Center

709 East Jefferson Street; Brownsville, TN  38012; 731-772-8719 or 731-772-6088; Web Page:

The Dunbar Carver Alumni Museum and Cultural Center is the only museum of its kind in West Tennessee.  The museum is committed to telling the story of African Americans as actors, creators, and planners versus reactors to their environment.  The museum focuses heavily on the strengths of the African American community as a people who were legally disenfranchised and social, psychologically and physically abused and its effect for generations.  Hours are 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Private tours are available by calling 731-772-8719 or 731-772-6088. Admission to the museum is free, but donations are accepted. More information about Dunbar - Carver schools and alumni are available


West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center

I-40 Exit 56, 121 Sunny Hill Cove (behind McDonalds), Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 779-9000; Fax: (731) 779-9001; Web Site:
An Authentic Southern Experience! Celebrate the music, cotton and beauty of the Tennessee Delta. Located conveniently between Memphis and Nashville just off of Interstate 40 at Exit 56, and features the home of Blue pioneer "Sleepy" John Estes and Flagg Grove School, the childhood school of Tina Turner. More than 8,000 square feet of exhibit space including 3 fresh water aquariums with native fish and other animals found in the Tennessee Delta. Other exhibits include Cotton, the Scenic Hatchie River, West Tennessee Music and a unique Lincoln Collection. Browse the gift shop filled with local and regional handmade items. Open Monday - Saturday, 9-5; Sunday 1-5. Free Admission.

Sleepy John Estes’ Home

121 Sunny Hill Cove, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193
Home of one of the world’s most famous blues musicians that has been partially reconstructed on site at the West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center and filled with photographs and momentos of Sleepy John and Brownsville blues men Yank Rachell and Hammie Nixon, who performed with Sleepy John Estes.


1 Mindfield Alley, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193; Fax: (731) 772-2195;E-Mail:; Web Site:
A 75-foot steel sculpture created by Brownsville artist Billy Tripp. A work in progress full of symbols about life. Free admission.

College Hill Center

P. O. Box 575, 127 N. Grand Ave., Brownsville, TN 38012;(731) 772-4883; Web Site:
Built as Brownsville Baptist Female College in 1851, 1911 to 1970 as Haywood County High School, then renovated and re-opened in 1990 as the College Hill Center and houses several museums and a meeting/reception room. The Haywood County Museum traces the heritage and history of the county and its people, beginning with the Indian period and proceeding to the present traveling through eight 25-year segments which display artifacts, documents, photographs and memorabilia of days gone by. Of special note is a display of uniforms from The War Between the States, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean, Vietnam and Desert Storm conflicts and a sports room dedicated to teams and individuals who have achieved local, state and national recognition. The Abraham Lincoln Collection was a two-generation project of the late Morton Felsenthal and his father, which was left to the citizens of Haywood County in 1982 at Felsenthal’s death. Free admission. Open Mon., Wed., Thurs., Fri. from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 1-5 p.m.

Brownsville Historic District

Brownsville-Haywood County Chamber of Commerce,121 W. Main, Brownsville, TN 38012; (731) 772-2193;Fax: (731) 772-2195;E-Mail:;Web Site:
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, this site contains 50 homes and churches along with the College Hill Center. A walking/driving tour tape or CD is available from the Chamber of Commerce.

  Soundtrack of America logo.gif - 22.97 KB